Below are images around our church related to the sacrament of reconciliation.
- Crown – Kingship/Authority of Jesus
- Chi Ro – Early Symbol for Jesus (First two letters of the title Christ in Greek (Χ Ρ Ι Σ Τ Ο Σ = Ch R I S T OS, which means anointed. It is also the Greek translation of the Hebrew word Messiah)
- Anchor – Represents the Theological Virtue of Hope – In Hebrews 6:19, hope is called the “Anchor of the Soul”, hence this theological virtue is depicted with an anchor. Even in the midst of suffering, there is hope in the saving power of God.
- Scales of Justice – God’s authority and his punishment/consequence for disobeying his commandments verse His mercy. The idea that penance we receive and agree to do is to restore the balance that sin damaged (i.e., “satisfaction”)
- Receiving absolution
- Doing prayer as a penance
Lower Transept Windows
Saint George, the Woman Taken in Sin (John 8:1-11), and The Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-31) in the south transept. Christ and Magdalene (Mark 16:9 and Luke 8:2), the Lost Sheep (Matthew 18:12–14 and Luke 15:3–7) and Saint Michael the Archangel (Revelation 12:7-8) in the north transept.
Prayer to Saint Michael the Archangel
“Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil; May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; And do thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan and all evil spirits who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.”
Above the alcove on either side of the reconciliation rooms is the keys of Saint Peter.
“And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” Matthew 16:18-19
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.” John 20:22-23
Divine Mercy Image
“I am offering people a vessel with which they are to keep coming for graces to the fountain of mercy. That vessel is this image with the signature: Jesus, I trust in You“
“These two rays issued forth from the depths of My tender mercy when My agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross. Happy is the one who will dwell in their shelter, for the just hand of God shall not lay hold of him“
For more information please visit https://www.thedivinemercy.org/message/devotions/image