Please take all worship aids with you after mass.
Permission to podcast / stream the music in this service obtained from ONE LICENSE with license #P-400168. All rights reserved.
To go full screen click the in the lower right of the embedded YouTube Video once you start it
To enable Closed Captioning, provided by YouTube, click the CC icon.. The size of the font can be controlled by the gears button to the right of the CC button. You can also set the quality of the video by clicking the gears, selecting quality and then the highest number.
FEAST DAY JULY 3rd
St. Thomas, our parish patron Saint, was one of the Twelve Apostles. He was a Jew from Galilee called by Jesus to accompany him on his mission to proclaim the Kingdom of God. When Jesus’ life was threatened as he went to raise Lazarus from the dead, Thomas said to the others, “Let us also go, that we may die with Jesus’.
Thomas doubted that Jesus had truly been raised from the dead. The Resurrection was proven to Thomas when Jesus appeared to him. Thomas said, “My Lord and My God”.
St. Gregory the Great once said, “The unbelief of Thomas has done more for our faith than the faith of the other disciples. Our doubts are answered by the demand of St. Thomas to know that Jesus’ resurrection was real.
In John 14: 1-7 we hear St. Thomas again. This Gospel is part of Jesus’ Farewell Discourse given at the Last Supper. It is often heard at funeral Masses, as it is a source of comfort and hope. Thomas could not comprehend what Jesus meant when he said, “I will come back again and take you to Myself, that where I am you may also be. Where I am going you know the way.” Thomas’ question is, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we now the way?” Jesus replies, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one can come to the Father except through me.”
According to tradition, St. Thomas preached the gospel in India and was martyred there.
Stained Glass Windows from Saint Thomas the Apostle Church, Bloomfield, New Jersey.
Links to Scripture about St. Thomas the Apostle:
- The list of the Apostles in the Gospel according to Matthew (Matthew 10:3)
- This list of the Apostles in the Gospel according to Mark (Mark 3:18)
- This list of the Apostles in the Gospel according to Luke (Luke 6:15)
- Thomas saying “Let us also go to die with him.” (John 11:16)
- Thomas asking “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” and Jesus replies “I am the way and the truth and the life” (John 14:5-6)
- The Gospel narrative where Thomas at first doubts the Apostles testimony, but witnessing the Risen Lord and says “My Lord and My God.” (John 20:24-31)
- Gospel passage where Thomas is recorded fishing with Jesus and a few other Apostles and disciples. (John 20:1-2)